Hey there, Mea here!
Last week, I worked on revamping an old yard swing. During this project, I took a worn down old yard swing and turned it into a fun piece of yard functional artwork. My mom was cleaning out the yard and she gave me a call to ask if I wanted the yard swing before she put it out for heavy duty pick up (trash). I jumped on the opportunity and by next weekend, I was at her house picking up this monster so that I can start revamp surgery. The plan was to convert the cloth chair covers to wood, give it a color uplift, and finish it off with a little shine. This turned out to be a beautiful edition to my yard. Now that this masterpiece of a swing sits in my back. Let me show you how it was done!
Before you get started with your revamp, you must first determine what you are dealing with. Is it metal, solid wood, plastic, etc. This plays a big part in your supply selection. For instance, I normally prefer to work with wood, but in this particular project, I am working with metal and cloth that has been in the element for at least the past couple of years. It definitely wasn’t pretty, but within all that rust and deteriorating cloth I saw potential.
To work on this project, here is a list of what I had;
- Wood (Of your choice)
- Rustoleum Spray
- Seat Covers
- Plastic Tarp
- Tools (Needed to take the item apart and put back together.)
- Drill and Drill Bits
- Screws (For Wood and Metal)
- Replacement Screws (Missing pieces)
Now that I have everything that I needed to get started, now it was time to break the item down, throw it in the Jeep and take it home. Since this was a bigger project, I got my children involved to help me get it down. The breakdown is like a puzzle. When I take things apart that I am going to put back together, I usually take pictures in order to keep track of how I took it a part. Considering that the cloth was well beyond destroyed, I threw those away and rinsed the swing parts really good.
Once I got the swing home, prepped it to be painted over the next couple of days. I cleaned the dust and rust off of the swing and gave it two coats of paint (2-3 cans of paint). To make sure that I got an even coat, I let the paint dry for about a day and then stood it up in order to do some touch ups. Considering that the paint is rather strong, I recommend spraying the swing outside to keep the fumes under control.
Creating the Seat:
Now this took some creativity on my part. Considering that the previous seat was made with cloth, I was aiming for something more sturdy and to me… whats better than wood? 🙂 I figured that I make the panels on the seats go across the seat horizontally, especially since the seats were adjustable. In order to properly attach the metal to the wood, I bought a special drill bit that breaks through metal and some screws that would go through metal and wood. It took some time initially but I found what helps is pre drilling the wood, laying it on the metal and draw the connection points through the hole with a permanent marker, pre drilling the hold through the metal, then connecting the wood pieces to the metal frame.
After I finished attaching the wood, we took the swing back outside to place a coat of poly on it so that it would hold up against the rain.
After it was dry, I put everything back together, applied some decoration and enjoyed my beautiful up-cycled yard swing. It took some time but it was well worth it! Thanks for tuning in and Happy Revamping!